Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Une Femme est Une Femme



Une femme est Une Femme c'est un très bon film.

The ever inpsiring combination of Godard and Karina is in full force in this 1961 gem. A narrative of a young woman who works as a (for lack of a better word) stripper by day, and a woman who is deeply in love by night. La femme spends her days flirting with a local friend Alfred, or should I say she allows Alfred to flirt with her. She wants a baby with her other half yet he says that there is no rush. They push and pull eachother, testing, as the narrative informs, how far they can take eachother because they know that they are in love with eachother.

For me, what makes this a great film is the style and attitude used. I always love it when the cast interacts with the camera, giving us a wink or speaking directly to the viewer. Godard seems to do this quite a bit in his films and for me it never gets old. The dialogue between the characters is amazing and never tires. Whenever I see a film such as this, and by 'such as this' I mean French, it always makes me feel somber about how people act and react to situations nowadays. Why can't we not always answer a question right away, or evaluate situations by riding our bicycle in the house, or show our feelings through book titles, or ask random strangers on the street to have a child with our girlfriends?

If I had to use one word to describe this film, it would be cheaky. (And yes, even if my vocabulary was better, I would still use this word!) This film erouses countless emotions upon viewing and is nothing less than French.

No comments:

Post a Comment