Thursday, April 1, 2010

Pet Peeve #2

Commas!

I could not stay away for more than a week with my pet peeves!

This pet peeve is something that affects my everyday life (*serious face*) and will always annoy the crap out of me. What is my problem with commas you may ask?

NOTHING..

I don't have a problem with commas, but rather with their lack of use in society. Or maybe my problem is the discrepancy between what we are taught about writing when we are children and how people seem to write today as adults.

As you may be able to tell from reading this blog, I am not the most advanced writer. I have a very limited vocabulary and I use very simple sentence structures. BUT. I do like to use my commas. As a child we are taught to use commas quite liberally and break up sentences with our little comma friends. I still write many a sentence like this. For Example...

As I was writing the sentence right above this, "As a child we are....." I was tempted to do this:

-As a child, we are taught to........ instead of
-As a child we are taught to........

In elementary school we are taught to use this method but it seems that as we grow up we lose this practice, and I believe it can be attributed to either of two things:

1. We Are Lazy. We drop the commas because we have developed a lazy method of writing and in most cases, the commas aren't necessary to make the sentence grammatically correct.

2. I suck at life and writing and I am doing it wrong and I am overusing commas.
(This is really why this whole problem bothers me as much as it does. I am severely paranoid that my use of commas is incorrect and that I am writing totally stupid and elementary sentences. (Which in all likelihood is the most likely)

I am willing to make the assumption that there is a correlation between my rate of comma use, and the fact that when I am typing, I am saying the sentence in my head. When I say a sentence in my head as I am writing it, there are lots of pauses that allow for commas. This is my own personal prediction for my reason for severe comma usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment